Dr. John F. Taylor has authored numerous books and tapes, has developed innovative approaches, and comes highly recommended for his ability to portray practical techniques to assist professionals who work with individuals and families within these difficult topic areas.
- psychologists and other mental health professionals
- occupational therapists
- speech and language therapists
- school and rehabilitation counselors
- human service professionals and related disciplines
- parent educators
Evidence-Based, Multi-Dimensional Interventions for Autism, Asperger’s, SPD & ADHD
Recent research shows that many children and teens with Autism, SPD and ADHD don’t receive adequate therapeutic intervention. These diagnoses are now being recognized as part of a larger complex with overlapping symptoms and body-wide impairments affecting several organ systems, not just the brain. The risks for delinquency, substance abuse, social skills deficits, health problems, obsessions, compulsions, sensory processing deficits, and profound academic problems are high for most of these children and teens.
This brand new, practical seminar explores clinical applications from several directions for maximum impact on the child, teen, and family members involved. You will find truly CREATIVE STRATEGIES that REALLY WORK and are user-friendly for any involved helping professional or concerned family member. Because it provides a comprehensive set of practical strategies, this seminar is a pivotal training experience for anyone concerned with helping a child or teen with any of these conditions. It details many factors that can decrease symptoms, and you will be able to immediately create and implement a potent program of symptom control upon return to your practice, school, institution or home. It features extensive assessment information and hundreds of specific corrective activities.
After attending a seminar a participant will be able to do the following:
- Identify and define sensory processing deficits within ADHD and its common overlaps, including Autism, Asperger’s, Learning Disabilities, Bipolar Disorder, Tourette’s syndrome and Depression.
- List practical, valid and specific methods to improve school performance and reduce distractibility.
- List 4 key factors that determine symptom severity each day.
- Determine strategies to uplift self-esteem, enhance sibling relationships, strengthen temptation resistance and increase family harmony.
- Discuss how to integrate academic, psycho-social, sensory-motor, nutritional and pharmaceutical interventions into a powerful symptom-controlling program.
- Cite effective methods to upgrade anger management, friendship, decision-making, apology, assertion and self-control skills.
- Discuss common emotional difficulties experienced by children and teens with these conditions.
- Describe which aspects of parenting skills to focus on in these families.
I. Multi-dimensional Treatment of SPD
- 4 different definitions and symptom categories of SPD
- Uncover problems with the 7 sensory systems
- Reduce sensory overload at school and home
- Utilize 9 key high-powered interventions for all SPD symptoms
- Reduce symptoms every day with 4 key strategies
- Improve coping skills before, during and after stress events
- Over 300 interventions described in the manual
II. Multi-dimensional Autism Treatment
- Use effective behavioral interventions
- Handle the nutritional aspects of autism
- Insulate from environmental toxins
- Spot early markers for autism screening
- Address symptoms in self-help, speech, cognition, self-regulation, and social and emotional development
- Use wise teaching strategies
III. Multi-dimensional Asperger’s Treatment
- Stop or redirect obsessions and compulsions
- Train in social skills
- Handle anger and reduce tantrums
- Classroom accommodations that prevent disruptive symptoms
- Enhance work skills, social relationships and independence
- Use Asperger’s-friendly communication skills
IV. Multi-dimensional ADHD Treatment
- Reduce conflict during chores, travel, mealtimes and bedtime
- Solve the messy, disorganized notebook problem
- Counteract common forms of ADHD classroom disruption
- Reduce fidgeting in the classroom
- Reduce distractibility and increase focus
- Enhance motivation and follow-through on assignments
- 4 key principles for preventing these children from misbehaving
- Seven crucial approaches to use in teaching anger control
- Improve social perception, decision making and resilience against teasing